1. Have your children give back- This can be on a smaller or larger scale but I do think it’s important this time of year. Kellan goes to a local church for preschool so we often choose to give back through that avenue but there are so many options! Food banks, adopt a family or a child, Salvation Army! I have seen so many boxes go up in the month of December that say to just drop off a small unwrapped gift. I think it would be so great to have a child pick something out for another child they don’t know, talk about the true meaning of Christmas! This year we have also been giving back to our local fire and police stations and all the brave hard working men and women that protect and serve us.
2. Local Polar Express Train Rides- these are popping up in more and more places! We took Kellan on this local one last year and he loved it. We signed up again this year and we are also took Marley. They have Santa come say Hi to every child, the kids wear their PJs and you get served hot chocolate on the train ride!
3. Put up the tree as a family- This should be a no brainer but I know sometimes parents want to do it without tiny fingers around getting into everything or breaking something (guilty!). We always pick our tree up at a local Christmas tree farm and then I will string the lights and the kids love to help me put up our family ornaments. I do think it would be fun to give each child a smaller tree for their room too!
4. One gift on Christmas Eve- One thing about me is I hate waiting for anything. I have no patience. I love gifting our kids one small gift on Christmas Eve. We typically do a small holiday book for each child or matching Christmas PJs. It gets them even more excited and I think it’s such a fun tradition to pass on each year.
5. Contact Santa- There are so many fun apps to use to “call” Santa. We like to use the one called “Call Santa”, and our kids (2&4) fully believe it is him. On Christmas eve we also use this website to track Santa and his reindeer. All of this just adds to the Christmas excitement. It only comes once a year so we always try to do our best to make it so special!